Governor Abiola Ajimobi of Oyo State has revoked the Certificate of Occupancy of those who originally owned land in the Soka forest where several decomposing bodies were found and several victims of a kidnap syndicate and ritualists were rescued by the police on Saturday.
Ajimobi on Monday led members of the state executive council, forensic experts and all arms of security agencies in the state to Soka forest and expressed sadness at what he called man’s inhumanity to his fellow man after going round the horror scene and witnessing the gory remains of human beings.
While describing the incident as most unfortunate, Ajimobi said the state government was taking over the land and directed that the bush be cleared.
According to the governor, this is necessary so as to ensure easy access to the forest and the activities in it. He also pledged that the entire area would be combed by security agencies to fish out the perpetrators and bring them to book.
“It is surprising that such a thing existed here for a long time. Nevertheless, we will take the following actions. We will revoke all the C of Os of the owners of the land; government is taking it over immediately.
“Then we will set up a panel of forensic experts. We will get to the root of the matter; and then, we will find out those involved in the act. Even though we were told that the inhuman transactions here had been in existence for over 10 years, we will dig it up.”
Ajimobi, who also promised the unemployed youths in the area automatic employment in the State Youth Empowerment Scheme, urged those interested in the job to register with the Village Head for onward transmission to the government.
The state Police Commissioner, Mohammed Ndabawa, assured the people that whoever was involved in the unfortunate incident would be arrested and prosecuted.