Barrister Opeyemi Bamidele, Labour Party governorship candidate in Ekiti State , on Friday announced the suspension of his campaigns.
Bamidele announced the suspension at a news conference at his Iyin-Ekiti country home, saying the suspension had become necessary in order to prevent further loss of lives of his followers and damage to their property.
He vowed not to resume the campaign until the police and other security agencies were able to guarantee safety of his party members and followers, stressing that he would change his campaign tactics to mere consulting till further notice.
The LP candidate accused Gov. Kayode Fayemi of the APC as being behind the several attacks launched at his campaign train in most of the towns and villages he visited.
He alleged that he had lost no fewer than 18 billboards and had many of his vehicles damaged by thugs allegedly deployed by Fayemi and his aides. Besides, Bamidele recalled that two of his supporters have so far been killed while many others were maimed.
Bamidele specifically made reference to Thursday’s campaign visit to Iyin-Ekiti by Gov. Fayemi, during which he deployed all segments of security apparatus to the town including soldiers.
“What happened in Iyin-Ekiti, my home town on Thursday was least expected of Fayemi, he did not only seize my town at gun-point, he also sent thugs after my supporters.
“It is quite unfortunate that a sitting governor wishing to secure second term could engage in this impunity, all out of sheer desperation for power,” Bamidele said.
But reacting to Bamidele’s allegation, Fayemi, through Director of Publicity of his Campaign Organisation, Dimeji Daniels, denied ever sponsoring attacks on the LP candidate as alleged.
He said those attacking Bamidele could have be aggrieved members of the public who felt he had not represented them well in the House of Representatives.