Gombe shut schools over Boko Haram attacks

0

The Gombe State Government, Wednesday, ordered the closure of all public and private schools in the state, a day after suspected Boko Haram terrorists attacked two towns in the state.

Reports indicate that parents who took their children to school on Wednesday were told to take them back as the schools had been closed on the orders of the government.

The Headmistress of Bethany International College, Gombe, Edith Williams, told NAN that said she received a circular on Tuesday evening that all schools should be closed down for security reasons.

Some parents commended the state government for the action, saying it was a necessary action to safeguard the students.
One of the parents, Hannatu Musa, said she was happy with the development as it would help to secure the children.

The Permanent Secretary, Gombe Government House, Sani Jauro, confirmed the closure, but denied the state was pressured by Boko Haram attacks, stressing that it was a “normal mid-term break for students.”

Gunmen had on Tuesday attacked Nafada and Ashaka, over 130 kilometres from Gombe, barely a week after suspected terrorists exploded a bomb at a motor park in the state capital.

Other states in the troubled northeast region of Nigeria had, in the past, closed down schools to avoid student casualties in Boko Haram attacks.

Follow Us

Previous articleRepublicans gain control of US Senate
Next articleU.K. to return £6.8m of Ibori’s stolen loot to Nigeria

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.