Lagos flags off ‘A-Meal-a Day’ programme in public schools in 2016

0
SHARE

Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State on Thursday said that the government’s “A-Meal-a-Day” programme in the state’s Public Primary schools would commence in 2016.

Ambode said this while presenting a budget proposal of N662.58 billion for the year 2016 budget proposal to the Lagos State House of Assembly.

Ambode said that the programme would be done in collaboration with the Federal Government, which would provide 60 percent while the state government would provide the remaining 40 percent of the funding.

“This programme promises not only to improve the daily nutrition of our children. It will also create an economy of its own, with opportunities for job creation, income generation, poverty alleviation, and so on,” he said.

Ambode said that the state government’s intervention in education would continue in the areas of maintenance of public school buildings and facilities, and provision of basic instructional materials.

He listed other areas of intervention to include free textbooks for schools and mandatory capacity building programmes for teachers in public schools.

“We intend to launch an advocacy programme `Kick Illiteracy out of Lagos’, starting from year 2016.

“I am happy to inform you that in 2016, we will develop our e-Curriculum, leading to the distribution of Ibile tablets to students in our public schools,” he said.

Ambode said that the revolution at the secondary school level would set a new standard in the educational system.

He said that it would also enhance the knowledge of the children, to enable them to compete effectively with their peers in developed countries.

On transportation, Ambode said that the plan in 2016 was to fully operationalise the multi-modal transport system, adding that this would be through the construction of new jetties and completion of work on the Blue-Rail Line project from Mile 2 to Marina.

“We will deliver this project in year 2016,” Ambode said.

On security, Ambode said his government would not relent in its efforts at making the state very secure for all residents and visitors in 2016.

“We will continue to support our security agencies with the necessary tools to fight crime.

“We will build on the existing cordial relationship with the private sector in ensuring that Security Trust Fund is efficiently utilised to make our state very safe,” he said.

Ambode said that a Medical Park would be established in 2016 to make the state a key destination for medical tourism.

“We had also promised earlier to deliver Ayinke House, our foremost facility for mothers, in the second quarter of 2016,” he said.

Follow Us

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.