The National Economic Council (NEC) on Thursday supported the Federal Government plan to spend $1 billion from the Excess Crude Account (ECA) to fight insurgency in the country.
Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki, briefed State House correspondents at the end of a NEC meeting chaired by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
He was with Gombe State Governor, Ibrahim Dankwambo and the Minister of Water Resources, Suleiman Adamu, at the briefing.
Obaseki said “The NEC also resolved through the chairman of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum to support the effort of the Federal Government in the area of security.
“Pleased with the achievement that had been recorded till date in the fight against insurgency particularly in the North East, the governors of Nigeria through their chairman announced at the NEC meeting that the governors have given permission to the federal government to spend the sum of $1 billion in the fight of insurgency. This money is supposed to be taken from the Excess Crude Account.”
He disclosed that the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), in order to have an alliance with states, would organise a retreat for secretaries to the state governments across the federation.
“This retreat will hold from December 18 to 19 and he implored all governors to ensure that all SSGs attend this retreat,”Obaseki said.
According to him, the Council also discussed the issue of fuel scarcity in the country.
“The Minister of State for Petroleum Resources assured Council that within the next 48 hours fuel supply would be restored nationwide because there is enough fuel in our strategic reserves and the ministry has released fuel from these reserves and expects distribution would reach all part of the country within the next 48 hours,” the governor stated.