Babajide Sanwo-Olu, governor of Lagos, has named some officers “who brutalised” #EndSARS protesters in the state.
Speaking at a media briefing on Thursday, the governor said four officers involved in the incident are currently undergoing orderly room trial.
“Lagos state is taking the issue of police misconduct very very seriously. Earlier this week, we all recorded an incident that happened at the Area C command in Surulere. All the four erring officers whose names I will also mention have also been apprehended and they are going through an orderly room trial,” he said.
“They’re Inspector Bagou Michael, Inspector Ekpoudom Etop, Sergeant Nnamdi Madura and Sergeant Akinyemi Benson. All the four officers have been identified and like I said, they’re going through an orderly room trial as we speak.”
The governor, who noted that some of the #EndSARS demands have been met, while others are work in progress, appealed to the youth to reconsider the decision to continue with the protest.
“As leaders, if your voices have been heard, if your agitation has been well taken care of, you now need to move on. That’s what we’re asking,” he said.
Sanwo-Olu promised to ensure the release of any protester still in police custody, and announced the setup of a judicial panel of enquiry to investigate cases of police brutality.
The panel will be chaired by Doris Okuwobi, retired judge of the Lagos high court.
“They will be given a six-month assignment in the first instance and the details of their terms of reference will be sent out by the attorney-general. There are three numbers that we’ve identified for them, and from Monday, those numbers will go live. The numbers are 09010513203 09010513204 and 09010513205.”