Boko Haram kills 20 villagers near Chibok

0

Suspected Boko Haram gunmen have killed at least 20 people in an attack on two villages on the outskirts of Chibok, the town where more than 200 schoolgirls were abducted in April, said a civil defence officer.

The attackers struck Kamtahi and Galtimari villages Monday evening, burning houses and forcing residents to flee, Muhammed Abbas Gava, spokesman of a Nigerian civilian militia, told the Associated Press.

“Virtually every house in the two villages were burnt to ash,” said Gava.

“The villages were totally razed down as residents fled for their lives, some with injuries.”

When contacted, the Borno State police command spokesman, Gideon Jubrin, said he was not aware of the incident.

This is part of a string of attacks in the state, including two suicide bombings on Tuesday at a crowded marketplace.

A medical doctor in Maiduguri, Dr. Musa Taji, said at least 70 people were killed.

On Monday, suspected Boko Haram fighters attacked the village of Damasak, driving into the town with improvised explosive devices and petrol bombs.

Last week, at least 50 people, mostly fishermen were killed in Doron Baga, along the shores of Lake Chad.

“Boko Haram has carried out a series of bombing campaigns since gunmen stole eight trucks of explosive materials from a cement factory in Gombe earlier this month,” said Human Rights Watch researcher, Mausi Segun.

Borno State has been hit the hardest by Boko Haram’s five-year-old uprising. Nigerian lawmakers are considering extending emergency rule in northeastern Nigeria, which has been in place since May 2013.

More than 1,500 people have been killed by the Boko Haram insurgency this year, according toAmnesty International.

Follow Us

h

Previous articleSuicide bomber kills five in attack on British embassy car in Kabul
Next articleSabah, Lebanese singing legend dies at 87

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.