The Nigerian Embassy in Banguisaid on Saturday that more than 1,596 Nigerians living in the crisis-ridden Central African Republic (CAR) would be evacuated by the Federal Government.
The First Consul of the embassy, Solomon Obono, said that the embassy worked very hard to ensure the safety of 1, 596 Nigerians, who took refuge in the embassy.
He stressed that the embassy ensured that the citizens were taken care of, prior to their evacuation. “We informed the Federal Government to arrange for the people’s evacuation. The evacuation has already started, as the first batch of our citizens departed for Nigeria on Friday,’’ he said.
Also speaking, Lt.-Col. Ezindu Idimah, who represented the Director of Defence Information Maj.-Gen. Chris Olukolade, said that the involvement of the Defence Headquarters followed a presidential directive that it should, in concert with other agencies, carry out the evacuation.
Idimah said that the Defence Headquarters was collaborating with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the National Emergency Management Agency and other government agencies in the exercise.
“The Defence Headquarters, in addition to providing financial assistance, has also provided a Nigerian Air Force craft, a medical team and personnel to assist in the exercise,’’ he said.
So far, 831 Nigerians have been airlifted to the country, following the crisis which erupted after the ousting of President Francois Bozize from power.