FG withdraws $1.1bn case against Shell – after discontinuing Eni lawsuit

0
55
Shell
Shell

The federal government has withdrawn its $1.1 billion lawsuit against Shell Plc alleging corruption in relation to the oil prospecting licence (OPL) 245 deal.

A Shell spokesperson quoted in a report by Bloomberg on Friday said FG has ended civil proceedings related to OPL 245 before Italy’s highest court.

On Thursday, Eni SpA, Shell’s partner in the field, had confirmed that it received a letter from the government, saying the claims would be withdrawn “unconditionally” by Friday.

Also, the spokesperson in Shell said: “We are pleased that this claim has been withdrawn.”

“It brings to an end to all legal cases against Shell on OPL 245 in Italian courts.”

THE OPL 245 SAGA

OPL 245 is an oil block located in the Niger Delta area of Nigeria. 

On April 9, 1998, the federal military government awarded OPL 245 to Malabu Oil and Gas Ltd, which was said to be owned mainly by Mohammed Abacha, son of Sani Abacha, and Etete, who was the petroleum minister at the time.

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo, on July 2, 2001, revoked Malabu’s licence and assigned the oil block to Shell – without a public bid.

Malabu went to court but the ownership was reverted to it in 2006 after the company reached an out-of-court settlement with FG.

Shell fought back and commenced arbitration against Nigeria, but when former president Goodluck Jonathan came to power in 2010 and implemented the consent judgment, returning the oil block to Malabu, the controversy appeared to have been resolved with Shell and Eni agreeing to buy the oil block from the Nigerian company for $1.1 billion.

The oil companies also paid $210 million as a signature bonus to the federal government.

But activists launched an international campaign alleging that the OPL 245 deal was fraudulent and that the proceeds were used to bribe government officials.

A STRING OF LOSSES

When former President Muhammadu Buhari came to office in 2015, his administration started a series of litigation against Royal Dutch Shell, Eni/Nigeria Agip Exploration (NAE), Shell Nigeria Ultra Deep (SNUD) Ltd, and Shell Nigeria Exploration Company (SNEPCO) over the allegations.

On May 22, 2020, a UK court declined jurisdiction in a case filed by Nigeria against Shell/SNUD and Eni asking for compensation in the sum of $1.1 billion.

An Italian court, on March 17, 2021, acquitted Shell, Eni and all defendants of corruption charges in the $1.1 billion deal.

Also in June 2022, Nigeria lost its $1.7 billion claim against JP Morgan Bank over the transfers of proceeds from the sale of the oil block to Malabu’s directors.

Previously, the US department of justice investigated the transaction and announced in October 2019 that it was closing the case.

In April 2020, the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) also closed its investigation into the deal after it could not prove fraud or corruption.

However, Nigeria is still prosecuting cases against Shell and Eni in Nigerian courts.

Meanwhile, Mohammed Bello Adoke, former attorney-general of the federation when the OPL 245 resolutions agreements were signed, was also charged to two Nigerian courts on various allegations, including fraud and money laundering.

He denies all allegations and has filed a no-case submission after the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) did not provide witnesses or facts to substantiate the claims.

Adoke recently said Ibrahim Magu, former acting chairman of the EFCC, has apologised to him over the criminal trials which he said Magu masterminded to help Nigeria win the cases in Italy and the UK to no avail.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.