Gunmen suspected to be members of Boko Haram sect, on Sunday, attacked some communities in Chibok and Biu local government areas of Borno State, killing no fewer than 51 people.
Those killed, according to sources, were mostly Christian worshippers, just as five churches including Cocin, EYN and Deeper Life Bible Church in Kwada village, about 10 kilometres from Chibok were also burnt down when the gunmen laid ambush on them during church service.
The attacks were carried out on a day the Federal Government said last week’s bomb attack on Abuja was meant to intimidate the government and that it is a struggle for power.
Boko Haram had two weeks ago written to Chibok communities threatening to carry out further attacks.
The attackers, according to report from locals in Chibok, made good their threat at a time the people were all in Church for the Sunday worship.
A resident of one of the affected communities, Amos Bulus told reporters that, “the attackers killed and burnt houses after attacking worshippers in five churches in Kwada, before moving to Kautikari less than eight kilometres to Chibok town, killing and burning down people’s houses and property.
“The security operatives were not on ground to defend us. In fact, those who ran into the bush were pursued and killed by the murderers.”
Another source claimed that the people living in Chibok town have fled their homes following the news of the attacks in Kwada and Kautikari.
A police officer, Peter Maina said he was called out from a Church service in Maiduguri, only to be informed that his brother was killed at Kwada when the insurgents attacked the village during church service.
Eyewitness accounts claimed that Chibok natives resident in Maiduguri could not hold back tears, when they learnt that some of their villages came under deadly attacks .
At Chikwarkir village in Biu Local Government Area, a resident, Mallam Audu Zira said that the terrorists came in pick up vehicles and motorcycles and opened fire on people before setting houses, and other property ablaze.
He said after killing one person, the terrorists carted away foodstuffs and motorcycles before they fled into the bush.
All efforts to reach spokesman of the Borno State police command, DSP Gideon Jibrin proved abortive as his line was switched off at the time of this report.
Sen. Mohammed Ali Ndume, representing Borno South Senatorial District also confirmed the multiple attacks on Chibok villages, yesterday, in a telephone interview in Maiduguri. He said the Federal Government should do more by deploying more troops to the affected areas of Chibok to secure other villages from being attacked by Boko Haram insurgents.
“The military and other security agencies should do more by not only deploying more personnel, but cooperating fully with members of the Local Vigilante Group in fighting terrorism and insurgency in this part of the state. They know the terrains of Sambisa Forest and can track insurgents in their hideouts.
“The two should work as a team to end this Boko Haram insurgency that will clock five years by July 29, 2014”, Ndume said.