Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos state has ordered investigation into the shooting of #EndSARS protesters at Lekki toll plaza.
Security operatives opened fire on the protesters at the toll plaza on Tuesday evening.
The governor, who had earlier declared a 24-hour curfew following widespread violence, was severely criticsed after the shooting.
In a statement, Gbenga Omotoso, the state commissioner for information, issued on his behalf, the governor said he had earlier told security operatives not to arrest anyone. “The State Government has ordered an investigation into the incident,” the statement read.
“Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has advised the security agents not to arrest anyone on account of the curfew, which he urges residents to observe for the peaceful atmosphere we all cherish.”
Sanwo-Olu appealed to Lagosians to remain calm and not allow “criminals, who had hijacked the noble protest of gallant youths, to succeed in their evil plan of turning the state upside down”.