Shell to fund 70 per cent of Ogbia-Nembe road in Bayelsa

0
SHARE

The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Ltd. (SPDC) says it remains committed to meeting its 70 per cent obligation to the Ogbia-Nembe road project in Bayelsa.

In a statement signed by the company’s spokesman, Precious Okolobo, the oil company said the second phase  of the project had reached 60 per cent completion.

It said that John Jonah, Deputy Governor of  Bayelsa, and officials of SPDC had taken a ride on the ongoing 27 kilometre stretch,  marking a milestone in the construction of the key highway in the Niger Delta.

“Phase 1 of the project linking Imiringi and Ogbia involved a 38-kilometre stretch with two major bridges and was completed in 2005, and funded solely by the SPDC Joint Venture.

“Phase 2 links Ogbia and Nembe, measuring a distance of over 27 kilometres with six bridges and more than 50 culverts across very difficult swampy terrain.

“Contract for this phase was awarded in December 2005 and work commenced in February the following year, but has been disrupted several times by security challenges.

“Phase two costs N24.4 billion of which the SPDC JV is funding 70 per cent with the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) responsible for the remaining 30 per cent,” the statement said.

The statement explained that the entourage stopped briefly at the project’s site. “The contractor disclosed that the road was 60 per cent completed, but complained of disruptions to dredging activities by community youths.

“The deputy governor warned against such activities, saying that perpetrators would face the “full weight of the law. The deputy governor urged that all genuine grievances should be channelled to government for quick resolution,” the statement said.

Gov. Seriake Dickson had on Dec. 18, 2013 released N3 billion “back up fund” for the completion of the Ogbia-Nembe road in the state’s eastern senatorial zone and gave the construction firm, Setraco Nig. Ltd., up to December  to complete the project.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.